This week has been rough. Fall semester startup is always crazy, but this one was just over the top. Pushed a brand new application to production, and promptly discovered a slew of bugs that hadn’t cropped up during testing. So many little fires being put out. As exhausting as it is, it’s such a fun environment, I don’t even care. I can’t wait to push the second release next week and go through this all over again!
During the PiPlay Kickstarter, I ended up buying a bunch of different joysticks to test. I’m going to hold a contest. All you have to do is enter your name and email, and I will randomly select a name and the winner gets a free joystick shipped to them. I will be accepting entries until next Friday!
I have a few different styles like this:
On another note, a LOT of emails from my blog were going to my spam folder (but not all of them). I’m going through the folder and trying to respond, so I’m sorry if I didn’t get back to you.
So, I’ve been looking at more joysticks, and I want to tell you about an experience I had with a cheap $15 Chinese joystick I imported. I buy a lot of items from China. This time it was a disaster. I believe I ended up inadvertently getting a return rather than new stock, so I’m waiting for the vendor to explain the issue before I give up on them entirely (the other products I purchased were in good working order).
The joystick i purchased is supposed to be a Welcom WE-6200. There are a lot of joysticks that look like this one, just browsing aliexpress will bring up dozens of similar products.
The one I received had:
solder on the underside,
a crack in the case that was “covered up” with sharpie
buttons that didn’t fit well.
mushy and sticking buttons
directly soldered connections rather than quick disconnects.
Other than that, it does work.
PiPlay is coming along. I’m finishing up the joystick config system. I’ve add mednafen to the list of emulators. I’ve done some code modifications to it to enable it to work on console with DISPMANX.