My new Tankstick arrived today, courtesy of XGaming.com. They have asked me to test it and get it running on the Raspberry Pi. I only had a couple minutes to play with it, but I made a little unboxing video for everyone:
Size comparison of the Pi versus a Tankstick:
This thing has some heft to it! With the few minutes I got to use it, I notice why some users of the Raspberry Pi are having difficulties making it work right. It’s nothing wrong with the device, but with the way some of the software interprets the inputs. I have a couple of hunches and ideas on how to fix it, which I hope to get to within the next week.
PiMAME 0.5 is also coming along nicely. I’m reverting back to the 0.3 stack and just adding some minor modifications. That should be released on Friday.
The reason dpkg requires force install is because the Advance* projects compile a lot of the same helper binaries, like advj and advc. When dpkg tries to install the next package, it sees it has already installed something with the same name, and freaks out.
Doing a force install tells it to overwrite and continue, making everything work. I don’t recommend using force install for everyday installs, but I know it works for these.
X Gaming X-Arcade Stick
I was very surprised when I was contacted by X Gaming this week. They are sending me one of their really cool looking X Arcade tank sticks to test out with the Raspberry Pi and various emulators. A couple people have posted on the Raspberry Pi forums and on my blog asking if this stick works, so hopefully I will have an answer for everyone very soon.
I’m looking forward to everyone’s feedback on the new .deb files. Let me know if something is messed up, doesn’t install for you, or is just wonky. Also let me know if it does work, because that’s good to hear as well 🙂