I’ve been trying to get the Tankstick working with GNGeo recently, and the issue that has been cropping up is that the Tankstick by default uses LeftCtrl, LeftAlt, and Space for the top row of buttons. This would be fine if I could just specify that, but the GNGeo config file (gngeorc) needs the SDL key mapping, which isn’t really documented anywhere.
What I have found is that if I start X Windows, run xev, press the required button, take that output hexadecimal, then convert that to decimal, about 99% of the time it’s the valid SDL key mapping.
Just a heads up to anyone else with that kind of issue.
Real quick, just wanted to show a very rough video of me using the XArcade Tankstick on the Raspberry Pi. I have the Trackball, Buttons and Joysticks all working. Gridlee has issues with it (has to have custom inputs set) but Street Fighter 2 and Missile Command worked “out-of-the-box”. I had to make a minor edit to the AdvanceMENU configuration file, but it looks like its working nicely.
I’m going to try a fresh re-install of PiMAME and try to recreate the results. I’m hoping to have a guide for this very soon ™.
My new Tankstick arrived today, courtesy of XGaming.com. They have asked me to test it and get it running on the Raspberry Pi. I only had a couple minutes to play with it, but I made a little unboxing video for everyone:
Size comparison of the Pi versus a Tankstick:
This thing has some heft to it! With the few minutes I got to use it, I notice why some users of the Raspberry Pi are having difficulties making it work right. It’s nothing wrong with the device, but with the way some of the software interprets the inputs. I have a couple of hunches and ideas on how to fix it, which I hope to get to within the next week.
PiMAME 0.5 is also coming along nicely. I’m reverting back to the 0.3 stack and just adding some minor modifications. That should be released on Friday.