So I got MAME compiled. The performance took a HUGE nosedive. Whereas before SF2 was playing flawlessly, it now looks like a slideshow. I’m going to work on it some more. Sorry for the huge delay in these Debs. I’m getting much closer!
I found some 18mm buttons for my DeskCade project. I’m really excited with how that project is going. Can’t wait for the buttons to arrive.
It’s been a fun week over here. I was able to order my 512MB Raspberry Pi from Element 14, and it arrived on Wednesday. Protip: Call Element 14 when they have stock and you will get it really really fast.
Some high quality shots below:
I’ve been working on my Mini Arcade Cabinet project, and I was able to source a mini joystick from P3America.com. I’m going to be working on the cabinet this weekend, and will be incorporating this into it.
Now for the big news….I have created some .debs for you all to test! The latest version of Raspbian has been giving me a lot of compiling errors. What I have gotten done I would appreciate some of you to beta test for me.
The two debs available now are PCSX_ReARMed and Gngeo. PCSX worked for me when I made the framebuffer larger in config.txt, and gngeo seems to be crashing or hanging randomly. I’m hoping it works better for you all. Please provide me with any and all feedback you have regarding these!
It has been an exciting two weeks, busy, but exciting. I have not had time to work on emulation at the moment. I have a long list of priorities to get done, but I’m working hard on things for the Raspberry Pi every day!
Also tonight I am going to see the Mythbusters Behind The Myths Tour! Should be a fun time.
Been working on this for a bit. I now have limited access to a Laser Cutter. This mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Machine I made is so cool. The initial SVG came from here: http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/arcade-cabinet-enclosure-7231. I had to modify the holes for the slab of wood I was using and the screen size for my 2″ adafruit display.
WiFi – I had never tried WiFi until today. I have never had good luck with Linux and wireless adapters. I have an older Belkin USB N wifi dongle and I plugged it in and it worked instantly. Used the GUI WPA_CONFIG tool and it found my dongle, my network, and once I entered my password, I was connected. Super hassle free.
Audio – Apparently there have been fixes for the audio issues. I haven’t had good experiences with Audio on the Pi. I go from Composite to HDMI a lot, and I use a lot of different emulators. There has always been clicks and hisses. I am hoping this is fixed now. I will be testing this out later.
Overclocking – raspi_config now includes an Overclocking menu item and has introduced Turbo mode. This is coming straight from the Raspberry Pi website:
“We’ve been doing a lot of work to understand the impact of voltage and temperature on lifetime, and are now able to offer a “turbo mode”, which dynamically enables overclock and overvolt under the control of a cpufreq driver, without affecting your warranty. We are happy that the combination of only applying turbo when busy, and limiting turbo when the BCM2835′s internal temperature reaches 85°C, means there will be no measurable reduction in the lifetime of your Raspberry Pi.”
This is awesome news! I’m downloading all of my binaries to this new image and will be testing out the performance for you all.
Excited to post today. I was out shopping today at Walmart and I came across a portable battery pack charger on clearance. I had tried to use a friend’s Duracell Portable charger and while it would power the Pi, it only outputted 500mA so it wasn’t able to power my LCD. I took a chance and picked this battery pack up and what do you know…it worked!
It’s a Kodak Power Pack KP1000 – 5v 700mA.
I’m now one step closer to my portable gaming station 🙂
Shoutout to CodenameV for bringing PCSX_ReARMed to my attention!
Tonight I have uploaded the source and binaries for PCSX_ReARMed. This is an amazing emulator that is running a lot of PSX games at full speed. I have not been able to get sound to work through HDMI yet, but since my last reformat, I haven’t been able to get sound working on anything, so I’m kinda bummed about that. I’m hoping some of you have better luck with the audio.
Good News Everyone! I was able to recover my corrupted filesystem. I also completed a large chunk of a major project I’m working on at the University. This one piece of code has been bugging me for a couple of days, and I finally solved it today, so I feel a lot better. I’m exhausted but hopefully tomorrow I can do some more emulation testing.
I have been testing PCSX_ReARMed for the Pi and it’s working really well. NeoPop-SDL (Neo Geo Pocket Color) emulator is working as well, though it doesn’t fullscreen properly. Mednafen 0.8 (a multi console emulator) is already in the Raspbian Repos. Mednafen 0.9 has trouble compiling out of the box but I was able to get past the issues and it’s working. I’ll be posting binaries this week as well as some tutorials.